Friday, July 10, 2015

A DIY Rustic "Tool" Box


I love organized spaces.  They make my heart go pitter patter.  If you ever peruse through my Pinterest boards I am pretty sure that I have at least 5 boards dedicated to just organizing.  And labels.  As I have been putting the finishing touches on my "mom's craft zone,"  I have found myself in need of some organizing items.  
I am a huge fan of boxes, bins and jars to contain all of my bits and pieces.  As I was putting some of the art supplies together I realized that they needed a container to corral them on my work table.  I looked around and realized that I didn't have anything that was quite right so I decided to make one.

It was a super simple process.  I have a ton of extra wood in a pile in my garage. (One day I swear I'm going to organize the black hole that is my garage bu that story is for another day.)  Anyways back to my wood pile.  It contains scrap  and extra wood from all the projects we have done over the past 5 years.  I grabbed 4 pieces of stained pallet wood that was left from making my pallet wall in the basement.  I cut 3 pieces to the same length.  The 4th piece I cut the same width as the other pieces. These will become the sides of my box.



I painted the wood a creamy white over the grey stain that was already on the wood.  This way when I sand it later it will get the nice weathered look I am after.


I attached the sides to the bottom using my air nailer.  It made a simple box.




Using a pencil I hand lettered the side of the box. 


 I then painted in the letters with this amazing color that I found a couple of years ago.  It was a mis-tint that I picked up at Ace Hardware for $3.  It is kind of a muddy grey-green-brown.  



I sanded the box down to give it a weathered and distressed look.  I wanted it to look like it had sat in a barn for a couple of years.  


I placed it on my work table and filled it with my mason jars of "tools."  I adore it.  It gives just the right look to my space.  And it allows me to have all of my things on the table.



No too shabby for some leftover wood and mis-tinted paint!





I'm liking up at:

No comments:

Post a Comment