Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Board and Batten in the Laundry Room.

A few weeks ago I shared my plans to "refresh" our laundry room.  You can see my ideas here.  We have been steadily working on it.  So far we have added DIY laundry pedestals, and I made some new artwork for the walls.  I must say though that when we added the board and batten to the walls the room really started to change.

The room became so light and bright!  I adore it.  Who knew such a small change would make such an enormous difference.


I know that out in the land of pinterest and blogland there are hundreds of posts on how to install board and batten. So I will make this tutorial short and sweet.  I started by measuring how high I wanted the board and batten to go and drew a level line around the room at that height.   I then painted the walls Navajo White below that line.  You don't have to be perfect with this. You will be trimming out the top and it hides your wavy lines.


Then you add your trim pieces.  I like to use strapping.  It is super cheap and I just like the way that the imperfections look.  I use a piece horizontally at both the top and bottom and then I fill in with the vertical pieces.
Then you spend a crazy amount of time filling nail holes, sanding, caulking and painting.  I think I did three coats on this board and batten before I was happy with the coverage,  Then I had the hubs repaint the walls.  We had painted the laundry room with a mistint from Walmart years ago.  I liked the color but I was ready to change it to something new.  I picked Boston Brick by Behr. We had it color matched in Ben Moore.  You can really see the difference in the two colors in this picture.
I love the new color.  I feel it blends much better with the flow of the rest of the house.

The board and batten and the new wall color looks amazing.  What a difference!

 This room is almost done.  Just a few more decorative touches and I should be showing you the final room soon!






I'm liking up at:
Sand and Sisal: Inspire me Monday
Home Stories A to Z:Tutorials and Tip Links Party
A Bowl Full of Lemons: One Project at a Time
The Happy Housie: Work it Wednesday
Your Turn to Shine Link Party
Living Well Spending Less: Thrifty Thursday
Blue I Style: The Creative Circle
Tatertots and Jello: Link Party Palooza

2 comments:

  1. It turned out really cute! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love how something so simple makes such a difference in a room. It really lightens and brightens it up.

    ReplyDelete